Last year at Spring Training, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a Mariano Rivera bobblehead upon entering Steinbrenner Field for a New York Yankees Spring Training game. I had no idea there was a giveaway that day. In fact, I’d never gotten any game day promotional giveaway during a spring training game. Unless of course you count that special – yet seemingly odd – appearance by Kenny G a few years ago in Viera.
So, with this year’s Spring Training already underway, I decided to see if we could expect any other spring training giveaways. Unfortunately, its not always easy to find the spring training giveaway calendar. For some teams, it’s not on the team’s MLB website. For example, you have to go to the Steinbrenner Field website to find the Yankees’ spring training giveaway schedule. And I must say that I was disappointed to see that the Yankees really weren’t handing out anything terribly exciting: a Steinbrenner Field 20th anniversary pin (3/14), a Masahiro Tanaka Poster (3/15), a tote bag (3/19), a Derek Jeter final game key chain (3/21), a Brian McCann Fathead poster (3/28), and a 1978 championship commemorative ring (4/2).
The Baltimore Orioles, on the other hand, make it much easier to find their giveaway schedule – it’s part of their regular promotional schedule website. Sadly, however, their promotions are less noteworthy than the Yankees: a luggage tag (3/11), a plush cow (3/14), and a handful of non-giveaway events, such as seniors (all fans 55 and over) run the bases.
I couldn’t find any information on giveaways for the Nationals. So, if Kenny G or some other surprise guest shows up, it will be an added bonus.
- March 7 – Cleveland Indians’ Michael Brantley bobblehead, Goodyear Ballpark
- March 7 – Toronto Blue Jays’ Roy Halladay bobblehead, Florida Auto Exchange Stadium
- March 7 – Milwaukee Brewers’ Robin Yount bobblehead, Maryvale Park
- March 14 – Cleveland Indians’ Billy Hamilton bobblehead, Goodyear Ballpark
- March 19 – Milwaukee Brewers’ Jean Segura bobblehead, Maryvale Park
- March 22 – Milwaukee Brewers’ Hank the Ballpark Pup bobblehead, Maryvale Park
- March 23 – Milwaukee Brewers’ Chorizo bobblehead, Maryvale Park
Of course, for those who can’t make the games above, you can always get your picture taken with the Orioles’ life-size Oriole bird bobblehead at Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota or the Dodgers’ life-size bobblehead of Tommy Lasorda at their spring training home, Camelback Ranch (see the video below of Tommy coming face to face with it at Dodger Stadium).
Happy Spring Training!