It’s one of my favorite days of the year! Today the 10 full-season leagues affiliated with Major League Baseball begin their seasons! (Minor League Baseball’s 15 leagues are listed below, along with their All-Star Game dates and links to the MiLB.com league previews, if available.) Naturally, I’ll be spending the evening with my Eastern League Champion Bowie Baysox!
Since it’s an in-between year for the every-other-year affiliation changes, there’s no change there, but there have been a few logo changes since last year. The Norfolk Tides, for example, have abandoned their logo of waves to that of a seahorse, complete with a new seahorse mascot named Triton. (Not to worry, though. Rip Tide is still around!)
There are also two new minor league ballparks scheduled to open this season: Spirit Communications Park, home of the Columbia Fireflies, and Dunkin’ Donuts Park, home of the Hartford Yard Goats. The Fireflies’ new park should be ready in time for the team’s home opener on April 14. The Yard Goats will have to wait until May 31 to play in their new park. In Toledo, Hensville, a new entertainment and shopping district is opening right next to the Mud Hens’ ballpark, Fifth Third Field.
For more information, check out MiLB’s Fans’ Guide to MiLB Opening Day 2016.
Happy new baseball season!
AAA – Triple-A All-Star Game in on 7/13 in Charlotte, NC
- Texas League – All-Star Game is on 6/28 in Springfield, MS
- Southern League – All-Star Game is on 6/21 in Pearl, MS
- Eastern League – All-Star Game is on 7/13 in Akron, OH
- Florida State League – All-Star Game is on 6/18 in Fort Myers, FL
- Carolina League
- California League – California/Carolina League ASG is on 6/21 in Lake Elsinore, CA
- South Atlantic League – All Star-Game is on 6/21 in Lexington, KY
- Midwest League – All-Star Game is on 6/21 in Cedar Rapids, IA
Short-Season A (Opening Day: June 17)
- Northwest League – All-Star Game is on 8/2 in Ogden, UT
- New York-Penn League – All-Star Game is on 8/16 in Fishkill, NY
- Pioneer League (Opening Day: June 17)
- Appalachian League (Opening Day: June 23)
- Gulf Coast League (Opening Day: June 24)