In honor of Satchel Paige‘s birthday, here are some Stat-urday stats and facts:
- Born on July 7, 1906, in Mobile, Alabama
- His first formal training in baseball was at the Alabama Reform School for Juvenile Negro Lawbreakers, where he had been sent after being arrested for shoplifting at age 13.
- His baseball career took him to Cuba, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Canada.
- Made his Negro Leagues debut in 1926 with the Chattanooga Black Lookouts.
- Made his major league debut on July 9, 1948, with the Cleveland Indians at the age of 42; 72,000 fans were in attendance.
- During his career, Paige played for nearly 20 different professional baseball teams as well as semi-pro teams.
- Appeared in the 1959 Western film, “The Wonderful Country,” with Robert Mitchum and Julie London.
- His last appearance in professional baseball was on June 21, 1966, for the Carolina League Peninsula Grays.
- His won-loss record in the Negro Leagues is 100-50.
- His won-loss record in MLB is 28-31, with a 3.29 ERA.
For more information, check out Paige’s page on Baseball Reference.