MASN, the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (our local sports channel), has been showing the 1983 ALCS this week. As we watched game 1 on Sunday, the following thoughts went through my mind, in no particular order:
Ah, the good old days – when the Orioles had real pitching, good pitching. Chris Tillman wasn’t even born yet.
- Cal Ripken was and always will be the patron saint of Baltimore. Though shalt not speak ill of Cal. Even in 1983, we knew he was special.
- Manny Machado was – and still is – the second coming of Cal. How dare the Orioles trade him last year? This is not a forgivable offense.
- Uniforms were really ugly in the ‘80s – especially those of the Chicago White Sox.
- O’s fans really haven’t changed much in the last 36 years.
- Baltimore misses Wild Bill Hagy.
- The Nationals could never have a Wild Bill Hagy equivalent.
- Will the Orioles ever be this good again?
If you’re in the area, you can catch Game 4 of the 1983 ALCS on MASN tomorrow night at 8:30 pm.