The 2019 Minor League Baseball season is finally here! In addition to all the hometown fun, here are some things to look for this year:
- Stars on the Rise: Bo Bichette, Carter Kieboom, and other MiLB stars are debuting in triple-A ball this year, after spending some time at MLB spring training this year. And let’s not forget about Victor Victor Mesa, who will debut in High-A this season. (And if anyone knows where little brother Victor Mesa, Jr., will be starting, let me know!)
- Teams Saying Goodbye: the Potomac Nationals, Mobile BayBears, and New Orleans BabyCakes are spending their last year in their current cities and will relocate in 2020 to Fredericksburg, VA; Madison, AL; and Wichita, KS; respectively.
- Minors and Milestones: A number of teams are celebrating anniversaries this year, including: the Louisville Bats and the Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.
- MiLB is Fun: The Copa de la Diversion returns this year with even more teams.
- All Stars: The Carolina League All-Star game will be held at one of my favorite minor league ballparks this year – Harry Grove Stadium in Frederick, Maryland.
- Buck Returns: Buck Britton returns to Bowie as the team’s new manager (at least the Orioles still have one Britton.)
Check out some of the changes for MiLB this year that I noted yesterday.
It’s gonna be a great season! Happy MiLB Opening Day!